Air conditioning preventive maintenance is critically important for keeping the AC in proper working order. If you take good care of your air conditioner, it will take good care of you during the hot summer months in Arizona. However, it can be difficult for homeowners to stay on top of all the maintenance tasks required for central ACs. At Intelligent Design, we make it easy and convenient to schedule preventive maintenance with our Club Membership plans. Our certified HVAC technicians can take care of the heavy lifting for you—all you have to do is pick up the phone and get in touch!
Air Conditioning Preventive Maintenance: Importance of Service Visits
It’s not out of the ordinary to be tempted to skip an air conditioning preventive maintenance appointment or two just to save a few extra bucks. Unfortunately, failing to get your AC serviced on a timely schedule will cost you far more in the long run. Here’s a look at the top reasons why preventive maintenance is so important for central ACs:
- Longer lifespan. A properly maintained AC lasts longer. This helps delay the expense of installing a new system. In fact, air conditioning preventive maintenance accounts for about 15% to 20% of the system’s longevity.
- Fewer breakdowns. It’s not pleasant to realize that your AC has broken down right in the middle of a heat wave. With regular preventive maintenance, you can expect fewer repairs, which will also keep more money in your wallet.
- Reduced electricity bills. No one likes to pay more for anything than they really have to. By investing a little in preventive maintenance, you’ll save far more on your utility bills.
- Consistent comfort. Preventive maintenance will help your AC continue working properly, which maintains your family’s comfort level.
- Warranty protection. If your AC is under a warranty, you may be required to schedule air conditioning preventive maintenance with a certified HVAC technician.
In addition, scheduling routine maintenance protects your home and possessions. One of the things the AC technician will check is whether the system is draining properly. If it’s not, and if this problem isn’t corrected in time, you could be facing a flood in your home.
Another benefit of scheduling routine service visits is the effect they have on your indoor air quality. A clean, properly operating central AC will keep the air in your home cleaner and healthier. This is especially crucial if anyone in your family has asthma or allergies.
Air Conditioning Preventive Maintenance: Scheduling Your Service Visits
So how often should you schedule air conditioning preventive maintenance appointments? Most people think you should do it once per year. But actually, most manufacturers urge homeowners to schedule a service visit twice per year. You should schedule the first service visit during the early summer, before you turn on the system for the first time. You should schedule the second service visit in the winter.
If you aren’t sure when you last had your central AC serviced, you can always give Intelligent Design a call. Our friendly office staff can check your file to determine the last date of service.
Air Conditioning Preventive Maintenance: What to Expect at a Service Visit
A service visit involves inspecting every component of the system and cleaning as needed. If the technician identifies any worn out or broken parts, they will require replacement or fixing. Here’s a look at a few of the tasks that HVAC technicians perform during service visits:
- Air filter: Replace the dirty air filter and advise the homeowner about ideal air filter replacement schedules.
- Refrigerant: Check for the correct level of refrigerant and recharge if needed.
- Ductwork: Check for leaks.
- Motors: Oil the motors, check the amperage, and inspect the condition of the belts.
- Thermostat: Evaluate for accuracy and recalibrate if needed.
- Electric: Check all electric terminals and tighten as needed, and check all wiring for signs of damage.
- Evaporator coils: Clean the dirty coils with coil cleaner to improve efficiency and reduce breakdowns, and rake the coil fins with a fin brush.
- Drain line: Clear the drain line of sludge and water, flush the drain, and add a sludge preventive product.
These are just a few of the air conditioning preventive maintenance tasks the certified technician will perform. Before the technician leaves your home, he or she would be happy to answer any questions you may have about maintaining your system and replacing the air filter.
If it’s time for your next air conditioning preventive maintenance appointment, you can get in touch with Intelligent Design at (520) 333-2665. Our friendly office staff in Tucson is always happy to answer your questions! We can also sign you up for a Club Membership if you’re interested in getting great discounts and priority scheduling. For even greater savings on your electricity bill next summer, ask us about our solar air conditioning system!